Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. Five years since our launch, Newsela is in 75% of US schools, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
We work in cross-functional teams, spanning engineering, design, product, operations, content, and growth. In this role, you’ll be responsible for building the products and features with which our users engage daily. We’re seeking an entrepreneurial product manager who can pair quantitative insights with qualitative findings. We expect this product manager to work with data scientists, designers, engineers, researchers and marketers on a daily basis to build innovative products for our users. This role will be expected to track key performance indicators and report results to leaders across the company on a regular cadence.
We are looking for a Product Manager to lead the design and development of our platforms, specifically with our teachers in mind. Someone whom possess an innovative but disciplined approach to development and is comfortable with iterative, short-cycle development sprints.With both product management experience, along with a passion for teachers , you’ll lead cross-functional teams to gather and convert requirements into impactful systems and best practices, ensuring our project teams are motivated with clear direction. As a result, they know what to do and they get it done on schedule. The ideal candidate will have significant experience working on software products, in addition to a strong analytical background.
- Lead product vision for our teacher platforms and represent the voice of K-12 teachers on a team that is responsible for achieving unprecedented levels of user engagement within Newsela.
- Establish short- and long-term product goals and strategies.
- Lead an autonomous team devoted to designing, building, and maintaining components of the Newsela website and mobile apps that specifically focus on increasing user engagement and learning.
- Engage closely with our creative team and software engineers to help determine the best design and technical implementation methods and reasonable execution schedules.
- Understand and analyze user needs and conduct research on markets and competitors.
- Build and manage a product roadmap to support our goals and strategies.
- Initiate and prioritize projects, track product development, and partner with the product marketing team to develop product launch plans.
The Ideal Candidate
- 2+ years of product management or product design experience at a consumer technology or media company.
- Strong analytical skills and supporting technical skills
- Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams to develop digital products from concept to launch.
- Experience in developing Internet products and technologies.
A Few Plusses
- BA/BS in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- A passion for education.
- Strong quantitative analytical ability and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.