Newsela is on a mission to unlock the written word for everyone. Newsela is an instructional content platform and among the fastest growing K-12 education technology startups. Five years since launch, Newsela is in 75% of US schools, in over 180 countries and is used by 20m students. Newsela gives teachers a way to instruct reading across a range of abilities and subjects by publishing non-fiction from the from the most trusted media sources to different reading levels.
The Newsela product experience, across web and mobile, is where our users, teachers and students, engage with content, take integrated assessments and leverage data insights to supercharge student reading and learning.
We are looking for an Associate Product Manager to join the Product team focussed on Growth. Growth at Newsela seeks to improve the acquisition, engagement and retention of product users with a goal to optimize the path to purchase. Teachers, schools and districts have unique needs in how they discover content, use data insights and are involved at different stages of the purchase process. The opportunity for this role is to innovate the product experience around these specific needs to drive engagement and product leads to revenue.
We work in cross-functional teams, spanning engineering, design, data, content, marketing and sales. In this role, you’ll be responsible for building and executing the products and features with which our users engage daily. Our testing-driven model focuses on exploring and defining great ideas then validating them against our core metrics through live testing with iterative, short-cycle sprints. We’re seeking an entrepreneurial product manager who can pair quantitative insights with qualitative findings and who possesses an innovative but disciplined approach to development.
The ideal candidate will have product management experience, a passion for content and education, demonstrable commercial acumen in addition to a strong analytical background.
- Defining and owning part of the Growth roadmap for the Newsela
- Working cross-functionally with teams across Newsela to develop and execute ideas through all aspects of the product development lifecycle including design, development, testing, productization and launch
- Working closely with the content, community and sales team to define new product innovation opportunities
- Data analysis to identify opportunities and ideas to execute against
Experience and Skills
- Huge enthusiasm for defining and evolving a content experience for teachers and students
- 2 years experience in areas of product management with demonstrated history defining great product experiences at a consumer technology or media company
- Experience and demonstrated leadership working effectively with design and engineering teams
- Proven instincts about user experience, design, and consumer needs
- Understanding of quantitative research methods such as AB testing and analytics
- A strong critical thinker with a balance of creative, analytical and commercial skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to influence and excel in a dynamic, intellectual, results-driven environment
- Direct experience in product design and/or engineering is a plus
- A bachelor’s degree; BA/BS in STEM subject field preferred
- A passion for content and education and building best in class products
- Comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.