Fatherly is looking for a smart, hungry, and entrepreneurial Managing Editor to mastermind workflow and service content ideation. Successful candidates will be experienced, process-minded, and highly communicative.
Fatherly is the leading digital media brand for dads. Our mission is to empower men to raise great kids and lead more fulfilling adult lives. From original video series and deep dive reports to podcasts and events, Fatherly offers original reporting, expert parenting advice, and hard-won insights into a challenging, but profoundly rewarding stage of life.
Role and Responsibilities:
Fatherly is looking for a Managing Editor eager to take on a leadership role at a growing publication. The successful candidate with be process- and solution-oriented, extremely well organized, and passionate about digital media. Candidates should be knowledgeable about building an audience through search (and SEO practices generally) and deeply interested in the lifestyle space. Prior management experience is not a prerequisite, but management will be an element of the job and, as such, communication skills are absolutely paramount.
The Managing Editor will help maintain editorial budgets, manage a copy editor, help optimize our editorial calendar, organize editorial projects, and run point on future brand extensions (think: podcasts and publishing ventures). The Managing Editor will also be involved with Branded Content production on an as-needed basis.
This is a full-time job with benefits. Qualified editors not based in New York will be considered, but priority will be given to those who can commute to our Tribeca office.
- Oversee the budgeting for editorial, branded editorial, and photo.
- Grow a network of outstanding and diverse contributing writers.
- Pitch and assign service stories.
- Manage editorial projects.
- Provide support and guidance to editors.
- Assist in podcast production.
- Participate in strategic discussions about editorial direction and workflow.
- Minimum five years of work experience, three years of experience in a fast-paced media environment, and one year of management experience.
- Strong command of copy-editing basics.
- Experience with freelance contracts and payment procedures.
- Expertise in search engine optimization.
- Knowledge of digital publishing tools and opinions on editorial workflow.
- An entrepreneurial mindset.
- A desire to work closely with a team.
To apply, please send your resume and a brief cover letter.