Software Engineer at One Concern
Palo Alto, CA, US
We are One Concern, a startup based in Palo Alto. We specialize in Artificial Intelligence for Natural Disasters. Our platform empowers the most critical decisions during the first moments of a crisis.
With our team of global disaster scientists and engineers, we have built a product that helps communities and first responders to prepare and react.
One Concern is growing rapidly and we are looking for passionate, motivated, and high-reaching engineers to join our team. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike.
In this job you are responsible for building and running microservices that power some of our most important projects. This means you chip in at all phases in the lifecycle of the project starting from ideation to running it in production.
Do you want to wake up every day and contribute to making the world a better place?
Do you like working on and with distributed systems?
How do you feel about working on a data system that requires uptime in the face of a catastrophic event? The system you would work on needs to be up when everything else is down, this leads to a very interesting set of challenges.
- Design and develop GraphQL micro services
- Build and optimize ML services that pick up messages from queues and feed the ML models
- Work with or create geospatial aware infrastructure services.
- Identify Key Performance Indicators for your code and work with the ops focussed team member on setting up alerts, monitoring and remediation for those services.
- Collaborate with Product Team on ideation and timelines as well as guiding the Product Team on which requirements are hard and which ones are easy.
- Ensure that your application does what it says on the box, is easy to operate and meets the quality expectations through automation.
- Nats Streaming
- You have 2+ years of experience building distributed systems
- Deep understanding of system performance and scaling
- You love coming up with creative solutions to hard problems
- Tested software components for usability, functionality and performance
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- You know at least 1 RDBMS system deeply and 1 NOSQL store and understand their trade-offs.
Bonus points if you have
- Experience building production quality, creative end-to-end Machine Learning systems
- Experience working with large datasets
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services
- B.S/M.S in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics
- Professional experience in 3 or more programming languages like for example typescript, python and go.
- Used Elasticsearch and gotten other people to use it because you liked it a lot
Perks and benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.