Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers and engaged readers are better learners.
As Newsela’s usage in classrooms all over the world has grown, so has our focus on using data-driven analysis and results across every area of our business in order to make us more efficient and effective in helping students learn to read. As Data Warehouse/Business Intelligence Intern, you will help us organize and make sense of vast amounts of product, sales, and market data. This is a paid, part-time position (20 hours/week) based in our New York City office.
- Work with Data Analysts, Data Engineers, and Data Scientists to improve how data is modeled and organized within our data warehouse. After 5 years of exponential growth, our data systems have grown cluttered and confusing; your role is to help us impose some order.
- Analyze database performance and find ways to make things run faster. Rewrite SQL files, simplify complex queries, optimize Redshift tables.
- Review other analysts’ SQL code and provide feedback according to our style guide.
- Write training and documentation that help our data analysts and business users understand the data they’re working with.
- Recommend and implement data governance rules.
The Ideal Candidate
- Current or recent college student with an interest in databases and data modeling
- Proficient in SQL
- Computer science, information science, or related course of study
- Experience with a BI tool such as Tableau or Looker
- Experience creating data visualizations
- Interest/experience with web applications and the data they generate
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.