Mic is looking for a strong Reporter to help write stories about food, travel, money, style and technology. This person will work on Mic’s lifestyle channels — Out of Office and Payoff — and focus on producing smart, important and inclusive service stories.
The ideal candidate wants to tell stories that are smart, important and inclusive, and fall under the Micbrand and mission of highlighting a diverse range of voices and perspectives. If you’re the person who won’t stop until you find answers to the most obscure questions — or are the person your friends go to for all kinds of logical advice — this is the job for you. You should be passionate about writing about all things money — especially the parts that feel awkward or taboo.
An eye for social packaging, familiarity with headline writing and video journalism experience is a plus as well — please make sure to highlight this in your cover letter. This position is based in Mic’s offices in New York City.
- Write quickly and accurately under tight deadlines
- Brainstorm lifestyle series ideas under the service journalism umbrella
- Build a network of sources in the money, work, style and technology areas
- Monitor news sources and social media conversations for lifestyle stories
- Pitch lifestyle service stories with an original angle relevant to Mic readers
- Work with editors on social packaging and developing franchises
- 1-3 years of experience of editorial writing
- Experience with original reporting and seeking out sources
- Ability to write comfortably and competently about a range of lifestyle topics, but especially work and money
- Familiarity with Mic and its voice
- Demonstrated understanding of the types of stories that perform well on social platforms and why
Mic reaches a monthly audience of 50 million with original reporting on the most important issues through diverse perspectives that challenge conventional thinking. We consider Mic the leading digital news company for society’s changemakers, who most influence and impact the world. We explore, explain and expose.