Mic is seeking a Manager of Development and Production to support Mic Productions -- the team responsible for developing mid and long-form shows to be pitched and sold to third party platforms and networks. This person will work with Mic Productions’ development team and Mic’s editorial leadership to create programming that leverages IP, subject matter expertise and on-screen talent coming out of Mic’s newsroom, as well as developing daily/weekly news programming and news magazines.
Our ideal candidate will have a proven track record of ideating, concepting, and packaging shows. They should be an expert researcher, able to dive deep into many new worlds simultaneously. They should have excellent writing skills, with a good understanding of commercial storytelling and experience breaking formats. They should be developing relationships in the unscripted and documentary television community -- from network reps, to talent agencies, to producers and production companies.
- Ideate, research and structure series new series concepts under the direction of the Director of Development
- Research, write and design one sheets and pitch decks for new projects
- Support sizzle production: work on sizzle shoots (pre-production to shoot) and support post-production by writing scripts and pulling relevant footage
- Support packaging by creating director, producer and talent lists for new projects in development
- Ideate news and news-adjacent concepts and formats for off-platform buyers
- 3-5 years hands-on development and production experience in traditional and digital entertainment, including prior production company and/or network experience
- Experience in development across a variety of unscripted formats and genres - specifically news programming, talk shows, and documentary series
- Highly engaged and interested in news from an editorial and creative perspective
- Strong track record of creative development, with direct examples of generating and sourcing ideas, internally and externally, and translating them into high-quality content
- An independent thinker and idea-generator with an equal ability to collaborate
Mic reaches a monthly audience of 50 million with original reporting on the most important issues through diverse perspectives that challenge conventional thinking. We consider Mic the leading digital news company for society’s changemakers, who most influence and impact the world. We explore, explain and expose.