Mic is seeking three experienced documentary Shooter/Editor/Producers to join its video team to work across departments including on the new show Mic Dispatch on Facebook Watch. The team is focused on producing high impact and best-in-class short to mid-form field reported docu-style video packages, covering topics that align to Mic’s core Editorial priorities. Mic is looking for two people with a focus on pop culture and one with a focus on news.
Our Shooter/Editor/Producers will play an integral role in defining and elevating Mic’s field reporting style. The bulk of the videos will be filmed out of the office, during moments of breaking news and on scheduled reporting trips. The Shooter/Editor/Producers should have ample experience with filming live events in unpredictable environments, and have strong news judgment to make sure we capture the most critical moments to tell these stories. There will also be some in-studio work as well - interviews and stand-ups - so versatility is key to success in this role.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable shooting with a wide range of cameras, and should feel comfortable serving as a DP to produce the most dynamic visual story. In post production, candidate must have advanced skills in Adobe Premiere, able to work quickly under deadlines while never sacrificing quality. Motion graphics experience a plus.
- Partner with correspondents and other production team members to pitch story ideas, research, and report greenlit stories (5-10 mins in length), as well as script packages
- Shoot and direct video & audio - both in-studio and in the field
- Edit videos, in collaboration with correspondents and producers, to maintain Mic’s editorial voice
- 5+ years experience in video production (field production experience required)
- Extensive technical knowledge in 3-point lighting, experience with in-camera audio using lavalier and shotgun microphones, white balance, ISO, composition, variable frame rates, etc.
- Highly skilled in Adobe Premiere and proficient in Photoshop, After Effects, audio sweetening, minor motion graphics work, transcoding, QCing final products and managing deliverables
- Proficient with Canon line of cameras, including the C100 & C300
- Passion for journalism, nonfiction storytelling and visual experimentation
- Deep understanding of visual composition
Mic reaches a monthly audience of 50 million with original reporting on the most important issues through diverse perspectives that challenge conventional thinking. We consider Mic the leading digital news company for society’s changemakers, who most influence and impact the world. We explore, explain and expose.