Fast growing startup environment backed by one of the top VC firms in tech. Incredibly smart, passionate and collaborative colleagues. All driving towards the mission of improving the way kids learn to read in school. If you’re energized by the thought of helping to disrupt an industry, and are excited to take an innovative approach to Talent Management and Development, this leadership role on our People team is for you.
Reporting to our Chief People Officer, you’ll envision and implement talent strategies and programs that drive business results and put the employee experience front and center. We’re a series B company, going from 170 to 250 over the next year, where you’ll have the opportunity to mold and shape company culture as well as our approach to talent management and development from things like: Onboarding, Employee Relations and Coaching, Training and Development, Performance Management and Reviews, Diversity and Inclusion, Policy and Benefits, Rewards and Recognition, Communications, Events, and Office Operations.
The Ideal Candidate
- Has experience in fast-growth and nimble companies as HRPB, Sr Generalist, Manager or Director, where the HR/People function played a prominent role in driving culture through innovative strategies and programs with employee populations that have grown above 100.
- Approaches employee experience and employee communications through the lens of design thinking, and employee/lifecycle
- Works with a growth mindset and coaches employees and managers to accelerate development, improve business outcomes, and constantly elevate their bar of excellence
- Develops programs and learning tools that are engaging and outcome-based
- Takes a business focus and agile approach to everything (starting with a business case, expected ROI, tests and learns, and ensures everything ties back to metrics that are concrete)
- Is an excellent project manager (can plan out large-scale events, engage different types of people, and has a backup plan for their back up plan)
- Has demonstrated expertise in complicated employee relations, HR law and compliance, and can balance the needs of the business with the needs of the individual
- Thrives in an environment where expectations are high, can expertly navigate ambiguous situations, and can help drive and support change
Led by VC firms, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB), Knight Foundation, Owl Ventures and Women’s Venture Capital Fund, Newsela is an instructional content platform and among the fastest growing K-12 education technology (edtech) startups. With the goal of promoting literacy, Newsela gives teachers a way to instruct reading across a range of abilities and subject areas. By leveling content from the most trusted media sources to 5 different reading levels, Newsela’s content results more engaged readers. And engaged readers are better learners.
Newsela is currently serving and impacting over 90% of classrooms and over 20 million students. With a nearly a $10B addressable US market for instructional content (source: BMO Capital Markets, NCE) and the education market undergoing a massive digital revolution, Newsela’s data and content platform is on pace to be THE way students read in school.