The Mighty is looking for an editor who wants to help revolutionize the way people in the disability, chronic illness, rare disease and mental illness community consume health information. If you are someone who loves distilling complicated topics in an easy-to-understand way and thrives in a fast-paced environment, we want to hear from you!
The associate editor is responsible for writing, editing and packaging stories relevant to our audience. This includes lifestyle pieces, breaking news and detailed guides about the conditions we cover. The position requires the ability to produce multiple stories per day as well as work on long-term editorial projects. The associate editor reports to our editorial director of news & lifestyle.
To do this well, you’ll need:
- Exceptional writing skills and a sharp eye for editing (we’ll give you a test)
- A knack for finding breaking news from across the web
- To be comfortable doing research and speaking to a variety of health experts
- Deep understanding of how to frame a story to attract a large audience — writing compelling headlines is crucial
- Experience using WordPress or similar digital publishing platforms
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and SEO
- Experience posting stories across a variety of social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest
- The ability to work quickly and to help out other coworkers as needed (we’re big on teamwork)
- A genuine interest in the topics we cover — disorders, diseases, disabilities and mental illnesses
- At least two years of media experience.
This is a remote position; however, east coast and New York City-based candidates are preferred. If that’s you, please send your resume and cover letter with subject Associate Editor – [your name].