Mic’s managing editor is the ultimate newsroom problem-solver. They are in charge of keeping a growing and hard-charging newsroom of video and written journalists organized and working seamlessly. They understand how newsrooms work efficiently and can smooth any workflow, identifying and solving issues before they arrive.
The managing editor will help maintain editorial budgets, manage a robust copy desk, organize editorial projects, supervise staff schedules and enforce Mic editorial standards and guidelines (including best SEO practices).
We’re looking for someone with:
- At least 7 to 10 years in journalism, with management experience.
- Extraordinary organization skills.
- Exceptional line-editing skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- An excellent grasp of basic legal rules that guide journalists (libel, copyright, fair use)
- Experience acting as a liaison between different departments, including audience, product and sales.
- Experience working with a copy desk.
- Working knowledge of standard freelance contracts and payment procedures
- Oversee contracts and freelance payments.
- Work closely with Product and Sales teams.
Cover letter required.
Mic reaches a monthly audience of 50 million with original reporting on the most important issues and diverse perspectives that challenge conventional thinking and give voice to the underrepresented. We consider Mic the leading digital news company for society’s Change Makers, who most influence and impact the world.