We are a venture-funded technology and new media company. We have assembled an amazing team of passionate, high-energy, focused rock-stars who cultivate our community and advance our strategic direction and we are looking for new people to help us continue to grow. Blavity is changing the landscape of media representation by building the world’s largest digital community for Millennials of Color. Blavity was founded in 2014 around a simple idea: Enable Millennials of Color to tell their own stories.
Blavity is looking for a managing editor for AfroTech. AfroTech covers the intersection of Black business, media and tech with authority. From breaking news and expert analysis to ground-breaking interviews at our signature AfroTech conference, we aim to be the most influential brand in black business news.
The Managing Editor will help lead, grow and manage our AfroTech newsroom and brand. You'll assign stories, conduct interviews, provide mentorship, edit copy, advise on headlines and framing, and help manage publishing schedules.
This role is LA, SF, ATL based and open to candidates who are willing to relocate.
Managing Editor, AfroTech
- Establishing AfroTech as a premiere destination for Black business news and the top place to discover the next generation of talent.
- Managing top line growth of new users by managing content creation and marketing teams - managing the growth
- Manage a team of freelancers and content creators to create unique first-to-market content
- Analyzing the platform and data to figure out what is working and how to make it better
- Oversight of special brand projects including partner events, video series, in depth reporting
- Work cross functionally with the Exec, Sales, Marketing and Creative teams to ideate and execute projects
- At least four years of journalism experience as a reporter and/or editor.
- A proven track record in journalism, preferably in business or technology news
- 5-6 years of professional experience
- Digital & editorial leadership background with a track record of growing traffic and strategic partnerships
- Strong interpersonal skills and growth skills