Gimlet media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts include the critically-acclaimed shows Homecoming, Heavyweight, and Crimetown. We’re also home to perennial favorites Reply All and StartUp. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to make amazing things, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Gimlet offers a comprehensive slate of benefits. We cover 100% of employee and family premiums for medical and dental insurance, and we offer vision insurance at a low cost. Other benefits include pre-tax commuter, medical and dependent care FSA accounts, 401(k), unlimited vacation, and an annual training reimbursement.
Gimlet Creative is the division of Gimlet that partners with brands to create our award-winning advertising spots, as well as our longform branded podcasts. Our brand partners include eBay, Tinder, Ford, Gatorade, P&G, HPE and Apple iBooks. For each campaign, we craft innovative, narrative-driven stories tailored to engage and entertain our listeners. Our branded podcasts have topped the charts in their respective Apple Podcasts categories and generated lots of buzz, including coverage in the Wall Street Journal, Entertainment Weekly, AdWeek, and more.
The Gimlet Creative production team is a tight-knit and highly collaborative group who work with people across the entire company -- from hosts and engineers to sales reps, marketers, planners and strategists.
An editor at Gimlet Creative is a lot of things: coach, story guru, creative vision enabler, and most importantly, teammate. We’re looking for someone with deep longform journalism experience who knows what it takes to make a good story great, and a great story Gimlet-worthy. At the same time, this person will genuinely enjoy the challenge of partnering with brands to tell stories that resonate with listeners while achieving the brand’s objectives.
The ideal candidate understands the role an editor plays in fostering a work environment where supporting one another creatively means giving kind, direct feedback; putting egos aside in the spirit of making the best possible product; and providing space to tackle new challenges. This person is solutions-oriented and enjoys developing new shows and formats that are made with a specific audience in mind.
This is a leadership position at Gimlet Creative, and we’re looking for someone who finds enormous satisfaction in growing and nurturing teams as well as in shaping and editing exceptional stories.
What You’ll Do
- Provide editorial guidance on structuring longform branded podcasts, writing delightful 60-second midroll ads, and pursuing new, experimental storytelling formats
- Coach producers with different levels of experience through the editorial process, from gathering tape to giving final mix notes, while working on fast-paced production schedules
- Work closely with teams to develop ambitious pitches and ideas, ranging from the conceit of an entire season to the arc of a single episode
- Accommodate feedback from a variety of client stakeholders and partner with lead producers to implement feedback creatively
- Give producers clear, actionable feedback that can be implemented within the required timeframe
- Identify stories with potential, likewise know when to kill a story and move on
What You Have
- 5+ years experience editing long and short-form audio stories
- A deep comfort and proficiency in structuring and editing non-linear narrative pieces
- Strong and flexible writing skills; ability to write for a range of audiences and a variety of tones and topics
- A proven knack for mentoring, and helping others develop in their careers
- Exceptional communication skills, across the board
- An ability to jump between projects, formats, and teams in order to contribute meaningful guidance, no matter the context and at any stage in the production process
- Excellent taste and a strong vision for what makes exceptional, ambitious stories sing
This is a full-time role, based in our Brooklyn, NY offices.