Modeler / Data Scientist [General] at One Concern
Palo Alto, CA, US
One Concern is a startup which specializes in Artificial Intelligence for Natural Disasters. With our team of global disaster scientists and engineers, we have developed a platform that helps emergency responders prepare for and make the most critical decisions during the first moments of a crisis, with the main goal of saving lives.
We are looking for hazard modelers with strong background in machine learning to join our team at One Concern. This role will work on development and improvement of machine learning models to predict damage outcomes from hazards. You should have prior experience working with any kind of hazards (e.g hurricane, tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, floods, chemical, biological) and also have a proven track record of working with machine learning models.
We work in a highly collaborative, challenging and exciting environment. Our engineering challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable stepping in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can scale to all disasters and geographies. If you are problem solver, think out-of-the-box, love challenging yourself, and want to work for a cause, we would love to have you at One Concern.
We are committed to a workplace that reflects the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
What you will do
- Develop and improve machine learning techniques for hazards including but not limited to hurricane, tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, floods, chemical, biological.
- Identify new useful data sources, envisioning creative applications of machine learning to these products
- Evaluate model predictions and quantify uncertainties between observed and predicted outcomes using statistical and GIS tools
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of software engineers and data scientists on cross-functional projects, interpreting data, and translating into actionable insights
- Provide support on ad-hoc analysis and reports
- PhD (preferred) or Master’s degree in an engineering field related to any of the above mentioned hazards
- 2+ year experience in machine learning, statistics and quantitative analytics;
- Proficiency in programming languages (Python, C/C++, Fortran and/or others) and visualization tools
- Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to develop innovative products for our customers.
Good to have:
- Professional Certification in related engineering field
- Experience linking measurement data with process-based models (e.g. via data assimilation, calibration, optimization and/or performance testing)
- Strong publication record is a big plus
- Understanding of MySQL, Postgres, Redshift, relational databases etc
- Experience with end-to-end product pipelines
Perks and Benefits
- Market-competitive salary plus equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Daily catered lunches, and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Generous PTO policy
- Team off-sites
- Flexible working hours