Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, StartUp, Crimetown, Homecoming, and The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Gimlet offers a comprehensive slate of benefits. We cover 100% of employee and family premiums for medical and dental insurance, and we offer vision insurance at a low cost. Other benefits include pre-tax commuter, medical and dependent care FSA accounts, 401(k), unlimited vacation, and an annual training reimbursement.
Gimlet Media is looking for a Director, Business Affairs to establish, lead, and execute dealmaking related to creative and business partnerships. You will work cross-functionally on everything from supporting negotiations with outside creators, to creating Gimlet’s scope of work agreements with advertising clients, to contributing to TV & Film deals. You will also be a main point of contact for Gimlet’s outside attorneys, e.g., corporate, media, intellectual property, and employment law counsel.
What You’ll Do
- Partner with key internal parties to drive Gimlet’s negotiation efforts end-to-end across many types of deal settings (e.g., IP licensing, show acquisitions, talent agreements, platform deals)
- Be a trusted advisor to business and editorial counterparts throughout the company
- Draft and review legal documents including development and production agreements, content licensing, distribution, talent, and independent contractor agreements
- Develop strong relationships with agents and lawyers representing creators and talent working in the audio space
- Design deal structures that cement Gimlet’s position as a great home for creative talent, and secure our commercial interests, in equal measure
- Draft and negotiate longform co-production, acquisition, license and development agreements in connection with third party produced or co-produced content.
- Establish and maintain familiarity with the requirements of, and relationships with, all the major entertainment guilds (WGA, DGA, SAG-AFTRA, etc).
- Provide legal counsel related to rights and production clearances (trademarks, copyrights, defamation, rights of publicity and privacy), including with respect to fact-based projects.
What You Have
- BA/BS degree and J.D. degree with admission to one or more state bars in good standing required (NY or CA preferred)
- 5+ years experience in-house at a production company, major studio or television network, with industry relationships with agents, talent, networks and producers.
- Deep knowledge of IP law and an understanding of various entertainment contracts and deal structures (e.g., option agreements, talent agreements, insertion orders)
- Ability to motivate and manage others through skilled relationship building
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate within the company at all levels
- Enthusiasm for Gimlet’s work
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. This is a full-time position based in our Brooklyn, NY offices.