Our teams bring great expertise and passion to helping Newsela fulfill its mission to unlock the written word for everyone. You bring the skills and tactics to keep these teams working from the same playbook. When we’re aligned in our vision, equipped with the information we need when we need it, and know what others are expecting and when they’re expecting it, we are capable of extraordinary achievement. Your role is to clarify, illustrate, coalesce, orient, document, catalyze and encourage. You’re adept at managing competing priorities, keeping multiple stakeholders informed, and enabling teams to hit their stride. You’re adaptive, optimizing for successful product launch and sustainable process development.
This is an excellent opportunity for creative, detail-oriented minds: a role that is equal parts project management and spearheading the execution strategy of Newsela products. We’re looking for self-starters who are proactive and exceptionally organized to join a fun, creative environment. As Project Manager, you are responsible for day-to-day management and smooth operation of cross-departmental projects. You’ll be managing, tracking and reporting on resources, budget, quality, efficiency, risk and team satisfaction. By operating and iterating project practices, you’ll impact project success and the broader success of Newsela. You will have the opportunity to set company norms around good project management and contribute to a culture of healthy cross-departmental collaboration.
Responsibilities of the Role:
- Responsible for developing project plans, estimating staffing needs, deadline and schedule management, and executing on launch plan for high priority company projects
- Facilitate greater company alignment and sustainable workloads
- Contribute feasibility assessment during a project's initial prioritization and scoping.
- Ensure that projects are delivered on time, within budget and according to plan
- Lead and manage multiple concurrent projects through planning, production, and delivery; manage and prioritize work based on importance and urgency
- Serve as the point-of-contact for status reports on projects; proactively communicate goals and changes in status; identify risks across all departments involved and to leadership as needed
- Advocate for and suggest product changes that will improve efficiency or fix pain points to product manager
- Implement systems that scale for management of new projects and unify disparate teams around its effective adoption
- Document process improvements to inform direction of new projects; manage cadence of updates to process documentation such as point of contacts, process steps, workflows, and system access for all stakeholders
- Assess the success and quality of project launches through monitoring of incoming bugs, code changes to identify quality issues and trends, post-launch fixes, and leading retros
- Project Management Professional certification
- Undergraduate degree from a four-year institution
- Expertise in the practical application of project management principles and tools
- Experience in a variety of project management methods at a lean tech organization; willingness to adopt new methods